View Single Post
Old 18th February 2022, 05:26 PM   #6
Jack Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster View Post
Hello Jack,

Nice addition to your kaskara collection. The blade & crossguard are nicely mated and likely late 19th C. Have you looked under the langets for a European maker's mark?

The silver on the grip looks over cleaned and is likely a much later addition. Usually a silvered grip has silver on the pommel as well with yours lacks. I've never seen a stone as a finial. Also, the tassel looks tatty, just wrapped cord and not braided as a traditional Beja one.

The gold on the sheath's chap are new to me, seem to be a later addition and not in the design of the chap. Also, there is a small strip on the sheath below the silver top piece that looks like the original piece was replaced.

The symbol on the chap looks like a stylized Arabic number 6. No doubt had an earlier meaning.

The sheath's suspension rings are a high class detail and not usually encountered.

Best,
Ed
Hi Ed

As always really appreciate your input. So ive checked thoroughly and cant find any markings at all on the blade but it definitely is a very well made one indeed but potentially might not be European and maybe ottoman? I agree someone has had a good clean on the silver which is a shame and can see what you mean about the strip on the sheath and also about the gold being an addition that doesn't fit with the rest of the chap design.

I do love the pommel especially as can see the build up of the layers and the jade finial addition I love plus the suspension rings are pretty neat.

The tassle is very tatty but can see it was braided at one point and ive looked closely and the colour on the inside is a very nice lilac type colour which i will try grab additional photos of.
Jack Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote