View Single Post
Old 21st March 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
cornelistromp

thank you all for the expert-comments,I noticed with pleasure that the level of knowledge in arms and armour is very high.
It is very convenient that I can consult this forum whenever Iam stuck on a case which more then once happens.

Re: origin
it is obvious that this type of blade has an oriental origin however Indonesian origin is not very likely because the weapons of this archipel don't have western types of ricasso like this blade has.
At the moment a friend of me is working on the translation and dating of the Naskhi script (Naskhi or close relative). Hope that the outcome will clearify more/all.

Re:dating
personally I think it can be older then 17thC or 18thC
- there was a "flint hard" layer of Goethite (feOoh) covering the blade.
This (evidence) has been recenlty removed for 90%.
such a layer is often found on medieval waterfinds. this proces of rust interacting with the chemical constituents of the surrounding mud ,is not possible in 200 or 300 years.
- the Naskhi script evolved from 1100ad in innumerable varieties and styles.
the first indication is that this style can be dated before 1600 but is under investigation at the moment. I hope the script will give more outcome.

Re: Malchus sword classification
Heribert Seitz Author of Blankwaffen
(one of the most important publications about the developements of types
of arms in Europe till 1600.) has classified "single edged swords" from the group MALCHUS-FALCHION-STORTA into two types in 1964;

MALCHUS type1 oriental origin (fa the Thorpe Falchion, Oakeshott 1960)

MALCHUS type2 north-west european Origin.(fa Conyers falchion)

(H.Seitz Blankwaffen p187-194. 1965)
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote