View Single Post
Old 19th March 2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello Cornelistromp,
First of all I'd like to welcome you here, and thank you for your great response on the Dutch knife!

The blade here appears to be an Arab blade, probably of 18th-19th century. Excellent note by Norman on the 'magic squares', which were talismanic groupings in numbers or letters found on Islamic swords usually at or near the forte of the blade.
There seems to be distinct variation in the numerology, as well as the calligraphy, of which nasta'liq is one. This script is a Persian form, which would have been highly favored in Arabia. I am no linquist nor particularly knowledgable on these weapons, but I do know these talismanic squares are typically termed 'Bedouh'. The meaning of the term is inclear, but naturally the inclination toward the Bedouin tribes of Arabia is tempting.

The Ottomans occuped Arabia and during these times, the nasta'liq used in writing Ottoman Turkish was termed 'Talik'. There was also Diwani script developed for writing Ottoman Turkish during about 16-17th c.

I think this should be posted on the Ethnographic Forum, where the true experts on these swords reside, and I'm not sure how this is transferred over, but I wanted to let you know where it is being moved for better response.

Fascinating blade though!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote