View Single Post
Old 11th November 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
blue lander

Hi all,

Sorry for digging up such an old thread, but I just joined the forum and I'm looking to contribute any way I can. Mongolians still follow this custom during their lunar new years celebration, Tsagaan Sar and I've attended a few here in the USA. Traditionally you're supposed to visit the houses of friends and family to give traditional new years greetings, drink vodka, have snuff, and of course there's a feast. The table is set out with a large plate of meat, here in the US they usually use beef but I think in Mongolia it's usually sheep.

There's a knife placed on top of the meat, (which has to be placed in a specific way in relation to the door of the house) and you or the host are supposed to cut off pieces and serve yourself. Only men are supposed to cut the meat, so they'll serve the women. I've only seen kitchen knives used for this.

Even though there's a knife provided, traditionally you bring your own knife with you to cut the meat. Some men wear very elaborate traditional Mongolian or Buryat outfits, but I've never seen anyone carry a trousse like below. Mostly I've seen western style hunting or military knives. The USMC Kabar seems to be very highly regarded choice. I've asked a few about it, and none of them seemed to be familiar with the trousse at all, although they knew what the tinder pouch was that you some times see them with.
blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote