View Single Post
Old 20th March 2024, 08:19 PM   #20
A. G. Maisey

Milandro, I have for many years maintained that as a general principle, it is not difficult to provide an answer, however, it can be extremely difficult to phrase a question so that a supportable answer must be provided.

In this current discussion the question arose that dealt with the comparative hardness of brass & bronze.I provided an answer that is generally accepted within the metal trades, however, that answer is a poor answer to an even poorer question.

If we wish to compare the hardness of bronze & brass we need to specify firstly the analysis of each material, in other words, the percentage of the various metals used to produce the brass sample, & the percentage of the various metals used to produce the bronze sample. Additionally it is probably advisable to specify the hardness test that is to be used & the conditions under which the test is to be conducted.

In my post #9 I stated this:-
" Comparative hardness of bronze & brass depends upon the alloys used, however, as a general guide, brass tests at Rockwell 55, bronze at Rockwell 42".

I abbreviated my response because I did not want to write a 5000 word paper on this subject, I gave a simple, incomplete response that encapsulated the trade understanding of this matter, an understanding that has probably been formed because of the overall availability of particular alloys of both materials.

In fact, testing can be arranged that will show brass to be both harder & softer than bronze, the range of hardness for brass on the Rockwell Scale is 55 to 73, the range of hardness for bronze on the Rockwell Scale is 40 to 420.

Bronze alloys do display one feature that can cause a misunderstanding of its hardness, & this is that bronze can tolerate a greater external force than brass, but once again, that is a function of the particular alloy of bronze that is under examination.

Here is a link that will support the opinion that brass is harder than bronze, but as I have stated, that is a general understanding amongst those who work with these metals.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/me...ethods-scales/

In respect of the concept of an Indonesian "Bronze Age".

The available evidence suggests that in the islands now known as "Indonesia" there was no distinct "Bronze Age", nor was there a distinct "Iron Age" , both technologies developed together & within the same time frame.

See Van Heekeren:- "The Bronze-Iron age of Indonesia".
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote