View Single Post
Old 19th October 2018, 06:13 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This type of Spanish colonial espada is most interesting as in form it leans more toward more traditional sword forms, but its primary curiosity is that these carry elements put together in a redundant fashion. The crossguard with its usually flattened quillons placed vestigially under the shallow cup is clearly unnecessary , but reflects Spanish adherence to tradition over practicality.

Brinckerhoff & Chamberlain (1972, p.93, plates 174-76) note that .."...the origin of this style cannot be determined precisely, but it may have evolved in the colonies".
While these interesting amalgams in style of course are more interpretive in local examples occurring outside records, regulations or precise provenance in most cases, it seems they began around the early part of the 19th c.

Adams (1985) refers to these as 'round tang espadas' but offers no further insight. I have seen reference to these guard bars as 'gavilan' it seems, having to do with sheaves of wheat.Also, I have seen later examples with this structure which were clearly worn as 'court' type swords by officials or perhaps officers in probably remote settings. Midelburgo has well noted these from latter 19th c. termed 'chinano' but that is the first I have heard of that term, or definitive note of the period.

The blade is of seemingly Solingen form but unusual as most of these blades were the hexagonal section 'dragoon' type. In the times when references were written on Spanish Colonial (1972 and previous) it was typically thought that these blades were from Toledo, however research done in recent years have revealed these blades were invariably from Solingen...and the misperceptions derived from the spurious use of Spanish marks and names.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote