View Single Post
Old 18th October 2015, 05:26 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ulfberth brings up very good points on the combining of a quality blade and the cruder components seen here.

I think that Mark has very valid points concerning these crudely fashioned components, and the idea that this might fall into the incredibly wide spectrum of these kinds of weapons in Spain's colonies.

As noted, the crude work on the bilobate guard seems fashioned after smallsword shapes, but clearly is not of such quality. The interesting motif of alternating semi arc punches is indeed seen in variation on other known Spanish colonial weapons.
The quillon block and stubby paddle like quillons seem as if from those on a hirshfanger , and of course incongruent with the bilobate shell guard.
I have seen Mexican multi bar hilts with disc type base, with redundant cross guards underneath in this same manner.

As I look at the curious chop mark style motif on the quillons, they remind me of the stamped marks from lead ballast bars used in the early ships of sail, and often on the bars of bullion. Again, these kinds of marking seem to occur in rudimentary fashion on the blacksmith quality fabrications of these colonial outposts.

It does seem unlikely that a quality Solingen blade from this maker would have filtered into the trade networks entering the Spanish Main and its ports of call. It is well known that Solingen was producing many blades for Spain and its colonies, with many using spurious Toledo stamps and makers names in the latter 17th century , well through the 18th.

The espada ancha of the Spanish colonial frontiers was fashioned after the hangers of 17th century Europe and England.As the smallsword of the 18th century evolved, it was of course likely the inspiration in similar manner for many colonial artisans fashioning court type swords for the status conscious officials and aristocrats of these remote places.

Purely speculation of course, but of reasonable plausibility considering these elements.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote