View Single Post
Old 12th November 2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Matt Branch

Default Update

What I have learned so far (thanks to Jim Mcdougall for the help)
After looking through and reading several books, this is what I have come up with. If anything dosent ring true let me know.
The size, shape and blade type of my sword are very close to the dish/cup hilted broadswords in Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America, my blade is 40" overall. 35" from guard to tip and 1 1/4" wide and is a flat side hexagonal blade.
The ricasso and shoulder of my blade are very close to those on the sword in plate 128 of that book.
So I am pretty sure that is what it is, the book also said that these swords were made in Tolodo Spain and Oaxaca Mexico, there are no marks on my blade to indicate if it was made in spain.
I have found a Bladesmith in Oxaca in 1750 named Aragon who used the same method as those in Spain. He does have a decendent name Guillermo Aragon Guzman who is said to be a world class Bladesmith and makes swords and knives at Casa Aragon in Oaxaca. I am trying to figure out how to contact him.
He may also have information on the decoration and rehilting of my sword.
After looking at all kinds of Mexican currency, stamps and government documents I have found only one Eagle that matches the one on my blade, so I am assuming that there is a connection between my sword and the Mapa Estados De Los Unidos De Mejico, which shows the border between The USA and Mexico around 1840 to 1850.
So I am assuming that is when my 1700's blade was decorated and rehilted.
I have found a Civil War skirmish in tennesse on January 25 1863 where my ggg grandfather in command of a construction train, with his troops captured 1 and killed 1 rebel soldier and captured all their equipment and 2 horses, that is where the sword came into my family.
I don't know how it got from Mexico to Tennesse.

Is there a way to attribute the sword to the treaty map other than the
eagles match?

I'm attaching some better photos of the pattern.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Matt
Attached Images

Last edited by Matt Branch; 12th November 2006 at 11:24 PM.
Matt Branch is offline   Reply With Quote