View Single Post
Old 29th September 2015, 07:43 AM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
Salaam alaikum ya sadiq al karim.
This one looks to be 18th century.

Salaams Oliver Pinchot, Nice to see your posts and I note at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=polish+hammer there is a great note by Jim Macdougal on this little attended weapon ...at #10.
n addition I note from web ...Eastern Europe and the influences of Western
Asia and the Steppes. Turkish and Tartar
fashion and weaponry were very popular in the
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the late
16th and 17th centuries.
This is evident in Polish war hammers (nadziak)
and war axes (czekan). These are said to be derived namewise from Turkish whilst Obusk is a Polish word perhaps indicating provenance.
These long- handled weapons with small heads
were quite effective when swung from
horseback. I would suggest however that the advent of effective body armour was the precursor to such weapons being developed though the evidence must clearly be linked to other countries across Europe and for that we should compare Italian, German and other regions. It seems to me that the development may be from a mixed variety though Turkish and home grown Polish may well be at the front..if there is a front??

In the 17th century, Nadziak war hammers and
Czekans war axes also became fashionable
walking canes for the nobility. Like many long handled original weapon axe/hammers such as the Mussandam Axe these became both a utility weapon/herders weapon and walking out accoutrements as well as a defensive item.

Here below is a highly ornate example sold at auction.

Description
A POLISH WAR HAMMER, IN 17TH CENTURY STYLE but actually19th Century. This is a Nadziac

The head formed with central spike of stiff-diamond section cut with wavy edges, small hammer-head formed with a beveled rectangular face, faceted tapering rear fluke, a pair of transverse spikes matching the rear fluke, all the elements projecting from a short molded neck, and with faceted tubular socket: on its original lacquered wooden haft with iron shoe.
The head 11½in (29.3cm)

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 29th September 2015 at 10:00 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote