View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:46 AM   #263
Prasanna Weerakkody

Fernando- still a bit puzzled by the Calachurro. The term “Kala Kiringne” is still in use for a type of knuckle duster. but even the word “Kala Kirichchiya” is not in proper use as to my knowledge. been discussing this with some Angam folk as well, but nothing significant is extant that clearly indicate this arm.

My personal assumption though is that it probably refers to the short wide bladed sword depicted as in the Gladiator at “Ambekke devale” illustration above. though no artifacts of these swords are found this sword is the most prolifically illustrated sword of the period. I am including an image from a frieze in Ridi-vihara depicting gladiators fighting with these swords.

Ariel, interesting to see those swords. The similar styled Sri Lankan swords are dated roughly between 5th -12th centuries in both Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa kingdoms. I would not be sure of a particular name given to them though; there are references to patissa in certain sources I am not sure if it refers to this. There is one curious difference though in construction; the Sinhala swords are assembled as hilt and guard sections inserted to a rod extension of the blade and held together with a screw on end piece similar to the X -ray radiograph image shown. your hilts seem to be cast separately and fitted to the blade with pins. (??)

Prasanna
Attached Images

Prasanna Weerakkody is offline   Reply With Quote