View Single Post
Old 19th October 2006, 11:09 PM   #40
Rivkin

Gentlemen,

Please, let us stay on track here.
Now to the weapons:
I think that our understanding of swords and "martial arts" is rather different from 500 years ago.
If you read mamluk manuals they are far more concerned with selecting and "maintaining" one's horse rather than some elaborate fighting moves.
Bow was the weapon of the steppe. Lance was the second choice (btw I doubt that one can use a cavalry lance in a "swinging motion"). A short spear I think was a relatively rare weapon (I hope to be corrected) - not used in falanga-like formations, not used by cavalry, too cumbersome to be used in tight infantry formations...

The lance had however two big disadvantages that swords did not - it did not work in high winds and maneurability was extremely low, often making it useless. Sword is a very good weapon because it can be used almost everywhere, but roman swords and legions did not save them from the onslaught of steppe cavalry.

And last, but not least, there is a chechen saying that loosely translates as "one can win with a sword of wood, but not without a heart of steel".
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote