View Single Post
Old 28th October 2011, 05:33 AM   #8
Karttikeya

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Karttikeya, based upon what I can see in the image you have posted, I feel that many people would be prepared to classify this keris as Tangguh Majapahit.

It possesses many of the features of form that align with a Majapahit classification, but the ganja is too straight and thin to conform to that which is expected in a Majapahit keris. The other indicators that I can see do echo Majapahit, but as is usually the case with questions of tangguh, I am reluctant to commit myself to an opinion based upon an image on a computer screen. When I say that the features "echo Majapahit", to my eye, these features appear to have been executed by a maker who had knowledge of the form of the indicators in a Majapahit keris, but who perhaps had never seen one.

In respect of the concept of tangguh.

This is a system of classification that was developed for a specific purpose. In the case of keris classified as a tangguh of the recent past, say within the last 300 to 400 years, it is possible that there could be a high level of agreement between the designated tangguh, and the era from which the tangguh name is taken. In the case of keris from the distant past this agreement between designated tangguh and era of the same name, is very, very dubious.

However, as with most things to do with the keris, we are dealing with a belief system, so for anybody who believes that a keris that is classifiable as a particular tangguh, was made during the era of the same name, so be it. For that person, it was.
Mr. Alan, thank you for your such explanantions..by the way, based on its design this keris comes from later period of Majapahit or probably older than Majapahit? If you do not mind, kindly give an opinion about this keris..thank you
Karttikeya is offline   Reply With Quote