View Single Post
Old 9th December 2007, 10:38 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think Vandoo's note on the carrying rings is very well placed, especially in noting these are also present in African spears as well as Tibet. I will say that my first inclination in looking at the decorative bulbs on the spear were that they seem Indian. This is much in accordance with David's notes and the illustrations he posted.
I do agree however, that this work is pretty rough for the work from India, even the village work, which I think avoided such elaborate decoration.

I would submit that possibly this is African work, intended to replicate such weapons from India. There seems of course considerable influence in many African weapons that certainly derives from the Subcontinent, and is most likely associated in degree with the profound trade in key centers such as Zanzibar. The Red Sea trade of course also entered through Ethiopian centers which also carried weapons from Indian sources. It would not seem unlikely that an African smith seeking to emulate the much finer quality spears of India might produce such work. This is not to suggest that African smiths were necessarily less adept, as overall the weapons of Africa often reflect beautiful workmanship. However, like all skilled work, the range of quality varies greatly.

It seems also that the diamond geometric with central dots is something I've seen on African weapons.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote