Thread: THE WAR HORSE.
View Single Post
Old 26th October 2016, 10:39 AM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinde
Some years back, I had the pleasure of meeting Trevor Lancelot Perry, a retired Anglo-Indian Colonel of the Indian Army, who had moved to Australia after he left the Army. His earlier regiment was the 3rd Cavalry however, he had the honour of raising the 64th Cavalry ( 1966) which was the last regiment of the post 1947 Indian Army to be called "Cavalry".

During the small number of occasions when we met, we talked on the subjects of Shikar, swords and uniforms etc., but in line with the topic of this thread, he told me that one of the saddest days he remembered, was the occasion when they were all ordered out on parade to shoot their horses, which were by then superfluous to the needs of an armoured corps.

Such is progress.

Colonel Perry died in India whilst attending regimental reunion.
Salaams Scinde, That is an incredible vignette and how sad that must have been ..

Wikipedia has his details and I Quote" 64th Cavalry is an armoured regiment which is part of the Armoured Corps of the Indian Army. After the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War, a number of armoured regiments were raised for the Indian Army, of which 64 Cavalry was the first. However, it was the last to use the epithet of cavalry, all subsequent regiments were named armoured regiments instead. It was raised in Babina on 31 March 1966 by Lt Col Trevor Lancelot Perry, a former Indian Air Force pilot, with a class composition of Sikhs, Jats and Rajputs." Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote