View Single Post
Old 24th March 2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaukudi
Hi Maurice,

Maybe its interesting to buy the article from Jstor it seems that the most closest information is in that article http://www.jstor.org/pss/1799566

Arjan
Thanks to another dear forumite, I have the article that Arjan tipped me, in my possession.
I will quote what I found about captain Chimmo's trip to the Sulu Archipellago, by Major-General Sir H.C. Rawlinson: delivered at the Aniversary Meeting on the 26th May, 1873.

The Eastern Archipelago. __ The Nassau, Commander Chimmo, has likewise just returned after an absence of something under three years; she had been employed during 1872 principally among the Sulu Archipelago, and in clearing away the dangers of the Sulu Sea. Many difficulties were met with which impeded the progress of this work, among them the hostility of the piratical tribes which infest these regions, and which obliged the parties to be always armed and on the look-out; on a late occasion one of the boats was attacked, and some of the officers and crew wounded, in return for which their town was destroyed and severe punishment inflicted upon the pirates.
The Nassau returned to Signapore by the Flores and the Java seas, examining the various dangers in the track of vessels by that route to Australia; she reached Malta by the Suez Canal in March, when she was put out of commission and is now being prepared for further surveying service on the eastern coast of Africa.

It is not much, but at least something about the provenance.
I hope more articles can be found!

Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote