Thread: Garuda Kris
View Single Post
Old 14th March 2023, 07:41 PM   #86
SanibelSwassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
A little further visual interpretation from my perspective...

Given the Malay/Borneo and Sulu flavour of these Sundang, a Sarawak Sadap and Latok to consider...

Again, when viewed like this, and in particular the Sadap, it is akin to the two examples initially presented, those with the carved ivory pommels.

Further to this, and by no means are silver rings new to silver sword handles, but I pay particular attention to their placement in relation to the upright ancestral Jawa Demam types Sundang hilts with the three rings and where they are positioned on the hilts.

I think it is more than a little casual coincidence and perhaps there is a whole lot more to this that first meets the eye.

Now, to add a little more spice to the discussion, although I am writing to myself too often with the fascinating post, have a look at this stunning old Kampilan and consider others in your collections with what the description within the link provides, where my idle ramblings are concerned...
https://www.britishmuseum.org/collec..._As1954-07-194

Battara touched on the alignment and crossover of faiths and worship in the regions and I had my doubts about Garuda being the correct term for these and part of me still does to some degree, perhaps it is spot on.

Correct me if I am wrong but Garuda could travel between heaven and earth, somewhat makes sense to carry this symbolism on a weapon which can take one from earth to "Heaven", but alas I don't feel that was the intent though this speculation of mine...

Interesting are the Biblical references within the script on the Kampilan and that Garuda is the enemy of all snakes... does that include Satan?
Perhaps these hilts are some very real spiritual protective motifs

What I found interesting was the last Angel mentioned. Azra’il (Azrael, angel of death). When looking at the typical Kampilan hilt, there is a coin to one side... is this the coin that covers the eye when one makes the trip to the afterworld, an eye one side, a coin or token the other, symbolising the ability of the iconography to transcend both planes perhaps?
Not a stretch given the importance of the text on Kampilan in the British Museum and just how old the coin on the eyes of the dead is and how far and wise it spread...

But alas, I ramble down this road because the Museum's Biblical translations and the notation of both garuda and Jawa Demam which is the same quandary found in this thread... several lines of faith aligning in the most unusual places...
Further to this, I present the Latoks because of the Floral eye which feels very deliberately placed, which is like the Kampilan eye position discussed/pictured, and where they are both concerned, they even have the line shapes leaving the eye...

Perhaps these hulu are Garuda... I do not know, I only wanted to share my thoughts about the plausible thoughts behind the iconography of ancestor worship in these regions that share common trade and ancestors.

Gavin
Gavin,

This is a great addition to the discussion!! Again I am only making a hypothesis that the hilt form could be a representation of Garuda… but the hilts you’ve brought forward definitely add interesting possibilities. As a reminder the Garuda symbolism travels through SE Asia in different forms and the merging of imagery specifically in the Southern Philippines area is well documented. The question becomes more interesting the further we dig… and that’s what is compelling for me personally.

Please let me know when you are able to put eyes on your newest example so we can really dig into its forms and symbols!!

SS
SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote