Thread: Garuda Kris
View Single Post
Old 7th March 2023, 02:47 AM   #79
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanibelSwassa View Post
1. The floral pattern on the crown of the “Garuda” form are not found in the other Moro Kris hilts, yet the blades on these archaic seem to have elements that would tie them back to the Moro craftsman.
I'll spend some time aligning my thoughts later in the week, but at face value, and no doubt the crutch of the matter that muddies the origins question for me is that I see Sulu motifs, Malay motifs and Boreo motifs within many aspects of the hulu and the dress these are sometimes found in... finding that consistent common and undeniable theme within all seems quite the challenge... equally, most blades as you note are distinctly Moro/Sulu... the adventure continues

Quote:
2. The wings on the side profile of many of the pieces I’ve located are typical of the more common forms. This seems to be a linkage that should not be ignored.
This aspect reminds me somewhat of the pronounced part of Malaysian/Patani Coteng and to a much lesser degree, the side panels on the Tajong which are more vegetation motifs and not pronounced.

Quote:
3. The front and back of the form have a possible reference to the gateway to “heaven” or the afterlife.
At the same time I see a metamorphous in process through various examples, not unlike the various stages other Keris hulu forms are found in other regions.

Last edited by Gavin Nugent; 7th March 2023 at 08:46 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote