Thread: Garuda Kris
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2022, 04:00 PM   #53
SanibelSwassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
As supporting evidence that this indomalay-style hilt was made in the Philippines- I noticed that the insignia carved into my kris butt pommel perfectly corresponds to the recurring okir structural pattern of a torogan, the traditional Maranao royal residence for nobility. It was reserved for the datu or sultan. This pattern is exclusive to the Bangsamoro.
Xasterix,

That is a fabulous direct origin connection! The Okir on your piece and the corresponding wood lattices is a near prefect match. Do you know what building that picture was taken from and or the buildings rough age??

Thank you for sharing both the information you gathered from your Malay source and the detailed Okir pics!

Very excited! At the same time I’m having a difficult time finding matching Okir or sculpture reference to the symbol on my kris. The number 8 is strongly represented in the three layers of the “flower”. I still have some leaning toward a connection back to Hindu/Buddhist roots on this symbol… but that a work in progress.
SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote