View Single Post
Old 4th August 2009, 08:00 PM   #17
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
David, the more I look at this beauty, the more I realize what a significant piece it is, and profoundly a Darfur example, clearly for someone of position and means. The silverwork on this is very characteristic of such swords, and I have seen swords attributed to Ali Dinar, one of the last Sultans of Darfur and his court and associated weapons with similar. Some of these can be seen in Anthony North's "Introduction to Islamic Swords", a nicely done monograph with some great photos.

I did not find the sword I had hoped for in the documents I mentioned, however despite the unique striated cushion type disc pommel (which is contrary to the usual discoid) , the domed pommel cap also characteristic to Darfur examples is present. The faceted capstan is especially nice.
It is important to note the profound Islamic styling in the Darfur hilts, which reflect the influences that keenly reflect Arabian influences, probably from the Maghreb and possibly the Senussi. I would defer more on that detail to those more versed in religious aspects of Darfur, but it seems I recall that Ali Dinar was associated with the Senussi following of the Muslim Faith.

All best regards,
Jim

"Bravo Holmes" ( ) ,
excellent information Jim, thank you. The pommel is indeed an enigma, ALL the examples I can find have the usual 'discoid' shape. I now have some avenues of research to follow, hopefully I can discover further information.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote