View Single Post
Old 28th September 2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Pukka Bundook

Good morning Jim.

I just found this new forum a few days ago, and it is a Very interesting place!

It appears that the "killing" of a weapon was not exclusively Celtic. Anglo-Saxon and Viking age weapons have been found, heated and bent double, or twisted beyond repair, or on occasion broken into pieces and scattered through the grave.
I suppose this practice had a practical purpose as well as spiritual;
As we know,
If the weapon was rendered useless, it could Still accompany the (useless!) corpse of it's owner to the "next world" where both, it would be presumed, would be restored.,........And the practical side was that the useless weapon wouldn't attract grave robbers, (which if not the Oldest profession, appears to be One of the oldest!)
Based on this practicality, I would think the "killing" of the weapon would be quite widely practiced, until Christianity took hold.
Another reason for "killing" seems to be to make a complete sacrifice of the object, a kind of "Votive offering"

On the other hand;

In the Icelandic sagas, a few famous swords were taken from earlier burial mounds, Skofnung is probably the most famous, and had probably been lain with King Hrolf Kraki for 300 years when it was recovered by Skeggi of Midfirth.
(see "The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England p. 11, 172 -74)
This goes to show that the practice of killing blades, etc was not always undertaken. and Might be regarded as personal, or based on wether one could afford a pretty "thief proof' burial chamber or not!

The sword you mentioned from the recent thread, (bent in a circle ) seems a bit unusual, and has me puzzled. It looks like it would have been a prime candidate to straighten out and re-temper..... not the usual bent flat killing.
The blade looks in very good condition. I don't understant this one....

All the best, Jim.

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote