View Single Post
Old 28th July 2022, 02:22 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It seems those ellipses you mention were deemed 'paternoster' by Jasper as they appeared to answer similar calling to the circular depressions arranged on the so called 'paternoster' blades. Whether these were used in the manner described by Burton (1884) or Brydell (1905) remains to be seen.

On Dutch blades, I recall these occurring often, but not ever seeing them described as 'paternoster'. As you have illustrated, the paternoster term seems to be a known simile for a number of things that bring to mind the Rosary.

On Dutch swords there is often a petaled feature on the quillon which is colloquially referred to as 'kleeblatt' (clover) much in the same manner. I have always regarded this description as referring to the quatrefoil shape often seen in ecclesiastic architecture, again with religious motif being significant in the decoration of arms.

Again, my hopes are to find illustrations of sword blades with the deliberate arrangement of dots on the blade which would respond to the descriptions of the writers I have mentioned.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote