View Single Post
Old 30th November 2005, 03:04 AM   #14
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
My apologies John , I'm a little color blind in the red end of the spectrum and didn't notice the color change on the word .
I wonder if the bone has been treated some way for that is not its natural color when fresh . Also that piece is a superior example of the material .

Does it feel 'light' in your hand ?

I have only taken apart Sperm , Humpback , and Pilot whales .*
*(if the US Gov't is reading this ; it was in the 60's before the M.M.P.A. Guys , honest !)
If you're refering to my piece Rick, I'm not able to tell if it has been treated as the patination seems natural enough but as the carvings are also quite deep, areas beyond the touch of hands are "whiter" than surface areas. There ain't any chips or cracks at all in spite of the deep detailed carvings but now learning this material is fragile, I'll be extra careful not to drop it or knock against anything etc that may cause damage. I also have a fossilised elephant molar wrangka and would opine with proper care and storage, these items would be as lasting. Also I thought elderly material like ivory would be quite brittle or breakable as well.

It does have a "light" feel and does not appear to be quite hard. I looked again at the "porous" aspect and would say it doesn't seem that porous but it's definitely bone.
John is offline   Reply With Quote