Thread: Opinions please
View Single Post
Old 7th October 2014, 11:01 PM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Opinions please

The purpose of this thread is to attempt to collect some opinions in respect of the effect that external forces may have had upon the Javanese cultural perception of the keris in Java.

At the present time I believe that most serious students of the keris have a pretty fair idea of the possible, or even probable development of the keris from the time of its appearance in Central Jawa some time around the 8th or 9th century, through to its resurgence in Central Jawa during the 1970's and 1980's.

About 1000 years of development, change, modification, and varying beliefs, and seemingly always attached to the culture of Jawa.

A number of external forces have played a part in the physical shape of the keris as we know it today, that is, as the Modern Keris, the keris form that followed the so-called Keris Buda, and these external forces have probably also had an effect upon the cultural perception of the keris.

There are two well known and obvious external forces that have acted upon Javanese culture and society during the period that has seen the appearance of the Modern Keris, these two forces are Islam, and colonial domination.

I would very much like to hear opinions regarding the possible effects of the influence of these two external forces upon the way in which the Javanese people regard the keris. Possibly other external forces may be able to be identified, and opinions in respect of these other forces will be equally welcome.

The focus is Jawa, and in this context, Jawa must include both Bali and Madura, the subsidiary areas where the keris is found do not need to be considered at this time.

There is no right and no wrong in this exercise. I'm not attempting to open up debate in order to determine right or wrong, I'm attempting to place on record opinions in respect of this matter, nothing more.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote