View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:08 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Mediteraneanis correct

Hello again CourseEight, you are correct on both counts, I bought these out of the USA into Australia recently. I was considering onselling a couple of these, but now having them on my desk I am unsure.

The top image is a typical knife/dagger from Albacete Spain with a double edged blade of just under 20cms, brass and bone handle with a simple steel cross guard, am guessing late 1900s.

The second image is a gorgeous little razor sharp knife from the Canary Islands, I had no idea about the origins of this knife until I emailed a fellow Forumite here in Viking Sword, Chris Evans informed me of it's origins. I am particularly taken by the amazing wire inlay in the handle and the overall quality of the knife in general, it can't be seen in the photo, but there is a small engraving present on one side that looks to be a series of small dots forming a pattern, upon obtaining this knife I would now certainly buy more given the chance.

The third photo if of an Italian dagger/Stiletto that dates from about 1750-1800. The wooden or horn handle, I can't tell which almost seems fossilised or petrified it is that old, It still retains some of it's end cap although the rest of the brass that would have enshrouded the top 10mm of the handle has long since gone, only the recess where it once was is now present.

The fourth and fifth photo is why I bought this collection of knives. It is a very rare Italian/Roman brass handled folder with silver medallions. Open it measures 45cms long, dating to about 1860, is razor sharp and gorgeous to behold, I would love many more examples of this knife buy they are hard to find. the handle is very battered and against some suggestions, I am considering giving this piece a full restoration.

Thanks for your interest.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote