View Single Post
Old 30th June 2010, 02:52 AM   #21
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowang
I can find no clear evidence regarding Khun Phan's ethnic identity (at least in English); given his apparent Buddhist religion, it's likely he was ethnic Thai. However, the cities of Nakhon Si Thammarat (Ligor), Songkhla, and Patani were all ethnically mixed (Thais, Malays, and Chinese), and in that milieu it is likely he would have viewed the keris as an object of magical power, as PenangsangII has suggested.

It seems clear from both scholarly sources (and the opinions of contributors in this forum) that to the degree keris culture exists within the borders of the Thai nation, it exists because of ethnic Malays who are now part of the Thai state.
Good point Laowang

There has definitely been intermarriage between different tribes, religions, etc. Many of us are mixed mutt's I'm Chinese, Dutch, English & Irish.... Many Thai nationals are have some Chinese blood in them from one side or both. I know many Thai who are mix of several groups...Mon, Lao, Chinese, Thai, Tai Yai, Tai Lue, Hmong, Shan, Malay, Khmer...so then you might find a mix of customs & tools used...plus just even just plan borrowing/ adaptation as many have suggested...if you find a better rat trap, then use it
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote