View Single Post
Old 18th May 2005, 04:49 AM   #9
Conogre

I freely have to admit to having egg on my face over this one (and Justin's too, for that matter ) as I have one nearly identical to Ian's swap item, complete with scabbard only with a simple bone hilt and was told years ago that these were called "kirpans", used by the Sikhs of India.
On the other hand, I've had several with nearly identical hilts that had fullered, damascus blades and, occasionally, reinforced, armor piercing tips and were told that THESE were the ones made for export or take-homes by colonialists, leaving me as confused as embaressed.
In truth, these two are the first that I've seen with the combination of the chain guard and the inlaid MOP hilts.
My next question, I guess, is to ask is anyone else has heard of a "Kirpan" and if there is any validity to the claim that it is a style of knife associated with the Sikhs?
My second question is, pertaining to the blades on these three, doesn't it seem strange that the words "Victory" and "Pure Steel" would be found on knives of the late 1800's/early 1900's?
Perhaps it's just me and exposure to too many Philippine knives circa 1945, but this time period just seems much more appropriate and logical than the earlier designation.
Mike
Attached Images

Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote