View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Thank you Lee, and welcome everybody!

I would like to thank Lee for reopening this forum, which I believe will be an outstanding asset to coincide with our other well represented forums. I think he has well expressed the reasons we have really needed to add a forum which will allow better scope in discussing the history and development of many weapon forms which may technically fall out of the ethnographic heading.

In many cases ethnographic weapon forms have often been directly influenced by ancient weapon forms, and as we all know many trade and captured weapons of European origin have entered the armouries of many cultures in many instances.

There are so many weapons that I look forward to seeing in discussion, from rapiers to 'mortuary' swords; from the military sabres of Eastern Europe to thier counterparts in Great Britain and the rest of Europe; basket hilts and thier development from Northern Europe to England and Scotland, and of course so much more.

I'm also really looking forward to the outstanding and extremely broad knowledge of our members which clearly includes these topics in thier scope. I believe we can advance the study of these weapons here just as we have with the many topics in ethnographic fields, much of it pioneer work, and I have always been proud to be associated with such expertise.

Thank you Lee, and Ed and welcome everybody!!!
Lets get busy!!!
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote