View Single Post
Old 13th December 2006, 07:30 AM   #6
Philip

Default curioser and curioser

Ian's comment led me to look at the engraved motifs that appear on four of the 8 sides of this pommel. Interesting that only one panel (left hand "long" side) has the design executed in a way that the elements form a complete unit that accurately fills the space allotted for it. The right hand "long" side panel's motifs mimic the left, but are done in a larger, more deeply-cut format that "drops off" the ends. The designs on two panels on the "short" side likewise do not fit completely in the space (see image above) and also run off the ends.

Charles is right in that the patina on the end of the pommel matches the sides, but the surfaces on the end do bear some tool marks, whereas the sides are quite smooth. The ivory looks like it's been this way for a very long time, the end has not been recently touched. The length of the grip (quite comfortable for a larger European hand) along with the sizeable pommel make this a very nice-handling short sword.

I don't know enough about Moro aesthetics to be able to judge whether the irregularities of the design in the four panels are "par for the course" or indicate something else... Am just putting forth these observations since I have the sword in front of me and thought it might elicit more ideas from the real experts.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote