View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2016, 01:23 PM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
It is my impression that the idea of a relatively modern and/or souvenir origin of many Indian/ Indo-Persian examples of arms and armor traditionally attributed to 17-18 century is beginning to get firm hold ( at least here).

In the absense of reliable dating and established provenance we may have to give a fresh look at our collections and, certainly, at the items offered for sale, no matter what authorities pronounce their ancient origin.
There is no such thing as an "expert", some people just have a little more knowledge.

These types of socketed axe may not even be Indo-Persian, let alone Persian. This brings into question the method used to make them, are these actually chisled or was some other method used such as machining?
Quote:
HUGE late 18th C. Persian Safavid Chiselled Tabarzin Axe. The largest of this type of axe I've seen. Very finely chiselled parade axehead, with fine chiselling throughout. This was likely a parade piece. The axehead is made in one piece with the metal part of the shaft or it was welded together at some point. The shaft appears to be a Victorian shaft made for this axe, and the entire piece was lacquered as well. The quality of the chiselling on the axehead is some of the best I've seen, and coupled with the size it's a one of a kind axe. See the comparison pictures with the normal sized axes for sale as well. Overall length is 38", axehead is 8" in length and 4" blade length.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote