View Single Post
Old 1st March 2005, 05:25 PM   #14
Conogre

This last bit of information probably takes it out of the paper knife/letter opener category then, to the point that I'm beginning to think that you have a very nice and unusual jambya there, although I still think it probably has a Morocco origin.....if the blade is sharp on the top edge only back to the "angle" this would tend to support the real weapon probability/possibility, although it wouldn't be an absolute necessity and after reading the hilt descriptions I'm beginning to suspect that it's silver sheet or silvered brass applied flyssa fashion over a wooden core.
If so that would make the ricasso/ferule area more understandable too.
Definitely strange enough to fit in with my "lost boys" as I tend to think of the unusual variants/reincarnated captures, with the sad part being that so many collectors insist that weapons need to be EXACTLY like a known stereotype/prototype......this seems particularly strange and sad to me in cases where there is little information on the known originals or else the type is known from a very few examples as many truly valuable and rare weapons are probably consigned to the novelty/tourist/fake categories, thus little valued and often destroyed or lost to history/posterity.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote