View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:33 PM   #25
M ELEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur
Mine has a Wundes marked blade and likely the second half of the 17th century. The adoption was to help reign in spending after clearing some debt. I am currently paying off yet another sword but it has been tough not to slide into another hole.

The blade decorative art of the subject cutlass might be the best lead as to origin. I don't really have a clue but to me it seems more central European than the west lowlands of the channel. Maybe Baltic/Scandic but I just don't know.

Cheers
GC
Oh yes! Always in debt over my collecting as well. I'm really starting to love these type swords. Saw one at an antique mall in Gettysburg many years ago, but just couldn't swing the price.

I guess another factor, already mentioned but worth repeating, is that these swords might have been constructed in one country (Germany or Austria), but made for elsewhere, as they were making so many blades back then. My particular sword isn't of the classic Walloon type, with its lack of side plates and possessing a curved blade. It could have been meant for export to any of the Low Countries (Sweden, Netherlands, etc). After all, there were swords of this type used by the Danes, Dutch and even a French variation! It definitely has the Germanic features, though.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote