View Single Post
Old 26th September 2017, 06:02 PM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi AP:

Our posts crossed. Yes, I agree that the luk appear to be forged and not ground out, and that this is not like the later 20th C. tourist versions others are alluding to. The blade seems well made in a traditional manner. As I noted above, I think your dating is fairly accurate.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan Paladin
It may have somewhat sharp luks but they don't look like they have been cut into the blade but rather forged into the blade itself. The blade also shows lamination patterns as well as a separate gangya with well defined greneng and kembang kacang. And the asang asangs as well as the silver (?) fittings of the hilt especially the woven rings do not seem to be the types seen in newer kris swords. The pommel seems to be of kamagong/Philippine ebony with ivory inlays (which is usually the case with antique datu barong swords with similar style of pommel). I think this sword would be at the earliest late 19th century to at the latest first quarter of the 20th century.

All of this is of course just speculation until we get a better and closer look at the sword.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote