View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:18 PM   #13
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
When I was a kid I used to use an old khuk --- probably 19th century --- to hunt feral pigs --- we'd run the pigs down with dogs through the lignum and then finish them with knives or spears.

I never really found the khuk to be a lot of use as pig knife, mainly because you need to swing it, rather than thrust.

I finally stopped using it and went back to the Lee Enfield bayonet that I had previously used. .
Interesting stuff Alan, yep not many kukris made for stabbing, a very few T spine types perhaps & one ore two other rarities. Now Bayonets on the other hand!

Which type did you use? one of the double edged ones or a 1907?

Quote:
However, I did continue to use the khuk as a general purpose bush knife, and it was pretty good for this.

A few years ago the blade came unstuck from the hilt, and I was very surprised to find that the tang was only a short stub tang held with natural resin. This seemingly ineffective tang had stood up to a lot of pretty heavy work, and when I got the knife the grip was already well worn, indicating that it had had a lifetime of work before I got it.

Yep the traditional Nepalese ones are all short tanged, then if it breaks at some time its easy to repair, rivets & buttcaps make the repair job harder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakethetrees
That's the problem no one considers when pressing old blades into service, especially ones where the exact construction details are presumed to be a certain way.
That problem is equaly true of new pieces as well STT. Perhaps even more so? {Having never been used or tested.}

Quote:
No one would think about getting an X-ray first.
x rays tell you a bit, practical testing tells you a lot.
Sensible & serious people would use the test I mentioned, It a typical old Gurkha test for weapons but not dissimilar to test used by Wilkinson sword before proofing a sword.

Quote:
I've always thought it best to get the best modern equipment available and put faith in it when it's going into a situation where it could be ruined or, worse yet, taken and enjoyed by an "enemy combatant"!.
Faith can not be relayed on! It is Strong belief on the doctrine, hopeful or spiritual conviction rather than proof: Once again Id say test any blade you are truly going to use. Go for proof!

Quote:
Think about the movie, Pulp Fiction, where an Air Force captain played by Christopher Walken returns a watch with three generations of combat service to the young son of his POW cellmate!
Why? It was a clever & powerfull film but the clues in the title.

Quote:
Yes, valid comments, but the khuk I'm talking about was a tool. meant to be used.

I used it.

The blade came loose.

So what?

I fixed it, and I'm still using that khuk as a camp knife/garden knife.

However, I would not recommend that a jade hilted Mughal court khanjar be used as a modern personal protection device.

Incidentally, my tool kit, that I use every time I have something to repair or make, has my father's tools from the 1920's, and my father's uncle's tools from the 1880's in it. To my mind it is no different using an old khuk to do a job, than it is to use old carpenter's and cabinet maker's tools --- or any other tools or household implements that are still functional, no matter how old they might happen to be.

Simple fact of the matter is that a lot of old stuff just works better, is more reliable, and less subject to breakage than the crap that is currently marketed. Plus you get the pleasure from using something nice. I can assure you that porridge eaten with a hallmarked English silver spoon made in 1825 tastes better than porridge eaten with a piece of Chinese stainless steel.
That's It Alan, my old early 20th century planes are 10 times the quality of the modern junk, so are some of my old kukri & knives.

But your last paragraph is it! "a lot of old stuff works better."

I now use my great grandmothers best cutlery for evry meal, where the last 3 generations kept it looked away for best, {meeting prospective in-laws for the first time type of best.} I use it every day! It is wonderfull to hold, so well designed & comfortable! it makes every day a little richer.

Am I philistine? Or am I sensible?

Either way STT use whatever you want, but personally id test it! Then your prepared for it to go wrong,during testing!

If it breaks when your focusing on the job in hand at a later date, it will be both more inconvenient & more dangerous.

old or new if its up to the job, it should survive the test! If not its no good for the job!

spiral

Last edited by spiral; 3rd September 2014 at 08:31 PM.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote