View Single Post
Old 12th January 2006, 01:46 PM   #17
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo
I once bought a Thai sword from a Ayuhdya. A real life size war sword, which seems to have some kind of tar coating on it above the sharp edge, except it was sharpened slightly. This thing was kindda heavy, so I guess you had to train to get fit inorder to use that thing well! The handle was rounded and tapered towards the end, and it has a very thick brass guard. It comes with black, painted wooden scabbard, and red rope (unfortunately, I lost it). My dad burrowed my sword and had it sharpened at a cutlery store, so he could cut the tree branches in the front yard. It worked extremely well.

But one day I decided to sell it for $ 100 because I wanted the money to buy a bearded dragon, or a tortoise (I've always been an animal fanatic, especially the tarantulas and reptiles). Anyway, I wanted to show off to this 18 year old kid, David, I'm selling it, to (bear in mind that I didn't have that much knowledge about swords, just enough). So I asked him if he had anything I can test cut the sword, and ran to his other friend named Tommy, that was working on the car, and grabbed an empty plastic, engine oil bottle for me. I wanted to copy what they did in the movie, I think, "Kill Bill", and tossed the bottle up in air, and swung it as hard as I can, making slashing movement as soon as the edge hit it. The bottle was made from very tough plastic, but despite it it cut quite a deep gash in it...about half inch long, more or less! And when I examine the sword for the oil stain to see where the blade had made contact there was a lot of oil stain on the edge. However, I did hit the bottle where there was some angle to it, but it was a good sword despite the fact my dad had used it to cut down the tree branches way earlier.

Welcome, Pullo. Interesting story. You'll find many members here are Thai sword enthusiasts. Try a search for "dha" or "darb" of the archives, and you'll come up with a fair amount of information, if you're interested.

By the way, great user name. I love that show. (but your avatar isn't Pullo, it's Voremus. ).
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote