View Single Post
Old 4th February 2016, 06:56 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Thank you Jim but ... this is not that much atypical. Since i started lurking at this sword and browsed the Net about possible similarities, i found a couple examples with this specific type of markings. Actually at this very moment i spotted a sword sold at Thomasdelmar with the same name inscription (Andrea Farara and not Ferara) and with the same interspersed four kings figure.
I too would like so much to see Jasper and Ulfberth coming in on this one.

Mea culpa Nando, what I 'should' have said is that the grouping was unusual to me, as clearly you found another example quite readily. I suppose I am simply more accustomed to seeing the kings head grouping in threes as seen on the example posted by Ulfberth.

I would note that the example you posted (in #3)is a basket hilt of 'Stirling' form c.1715 (Darling, 1974, p.82) so interesting to see blade so marked in that time frame.

If I am not mistaken, the hilt on your example discussed in this thread is brass. It would seem that dragoon swords were produced in brass in Glasgow around 1720s (Mazansky, 2005, p.108).

I think Ulfberths inclination toward English character is correct though I had also thought this might be a Continental piece. In checking Danish and Dutch sources I found nothing in this type basket corresponding, and the pommel redirects to British. It is actually a combination of Mazansky typology IV and VI, with somewhat taller oblate form (Mazansky, op,cit.p23).

I am inclined to think this is indeed a British dragoon sword, but with the wire grip and Turks head to an officer. The blade is most certainly of c. 1715+ and Solingen, and as shown with these kings heads intermittent with the well established ANDREA FERARA name which catered to Scottish market. The kings head with beard do not correspond to the early Wundes form and are facing opposite from examples shown. The bearded versions are of Johannes Wundes the elder 1560-1610 and later Wundes group had no beard and more stylized.
The blade is of course far later than that type kings head of the early Wundes.

The 'different' application of these kings heads as punction with the ANDREA FERARA name suggests to me (as noted by Ulfberth as well) that these blades though from Solingen were produced with spurious kings heads alluding to the Wundes makers (Weyersberg did not adopt the mark until 1774) and obviously commercially gauged, in numbers unclear but of the period shown.

Most dragoon sword blades of this period early 18th century were backsword, but officers had the option to broadswords. Many of the Scottish units in British ranks, particularly officers had brass swords in the post 1715 period and later of course.
This again looks like an officers sword, probably 'garrison' made in either Glasgow or Edinburgh, more likely Edinburgh c. 1715-50 .

Works consulted:
"British Basket Hilt Swords" , Dr. Cyril Mazansky, 2005 (p.216, p212,.p.108, p.23)
"Blanke Wapens", J.P.Puype, Amsterdam, 1981, Dutch arms
"Gamle Danske Militaer Vaben" , Th. Moller, Copenhagen, 1963, Danish arms
"British Basket Hilt Cavalry Swords " , Anthony Darling, Canadian Journal of Arms Collecting , Vol. 7, #3, 1974, p. 82, p.92)

"European Makers of Edged Weapons, Their Marks", Staffan Kinman, Stockholm, 2015, (p.119)

"German Swords and Sword Makers" Richard Bezdek, 2000, p.160-161.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote