View Single Post
Old 20th November 2007, 09:24 PM   #7
xerg

Hi all! Thanks for the advice. In the end, I didn't have enough time in country to go back and take a second look at the thing. I don't feel bad for having missed it after reading this thread, however. I'm sure I'll find a better piece somewhere in the next year or so.

I'm a bit chagrined that you all assumed that I don't know about bargaining! Fair enough, I suppose, what with the way the post was phrased and my admitted ignorance as to all things sword-like. The store that I saw the item at, however, was an upscale boutique with fixed prices. Almost every halfway developed financial capital in West Africa has at least one such place and most of them don't go in for serious haggling (in fact, they consider it to be an affront if you try). The one I happened on in Togo was called "Bric a Brac" and is located on the main road by the ocean. I think the owner is an elderly Ethiopian gentleman, but the dude actually running the store was a VERY pushy and arrogant Togolaise who was the sort of dude that flashes two cell phones and didn't go in for the discoute whatsoever.

No matter. I take heart in the thought that I'll be in West, Central, and North Africa for a while and have plenty of time to find a good piece. One thing that was especially nice to hear is that it was possible in 2000 to buy s "good quality, typical takoubas sell for as cheaply as $50". I wonder how much that price has gone up in the intervening 7 years? I don't think I'll be going to Agadez any time soon, sadly, due to the ongoing rebellion in the region. Maybe next year if things calm down. Does anyone have a sense of pricing outside of Tuareg central? I have access to the following countries on a semi-regular or more basis:

Benin
Burkina
Cameroon
Cote d'Ivorie
Senegal
Morocco
Togo
Ghana

I'm sensing that Morocco, Togo, and Burkina would be the best bets (although the artisnal market in Burk is mostly new stuff made for the tourist market).

Does anyone know of any other resources that would be a good place to start researching the basics of African weapons? Maybe a nice book or something? I really am starting from a blank slate here but am very interested in learning.

Thanks!
xerg is offline   Reply With Quote