View Single Post
Old 12th April 2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaukudi
I thougth you had a wife also...
but before we fall into temptation to make only sexuall related jokes the intension of this thread is serious...

The piece doesn't let any doubt about the symbols used to frigthen away bad spirits. I was aware that this was practized also among the Dayak but had never seen such a clear example.

at final another legend told by former curator Jan Ave of the Leiden Museum when I took lessons years ago.

Once there was a female village chief who was going to a meeting with several other village chiefs. The had been enemies in the past so she was not completely happy being among them.
During the long conversation that followed they indeed suddenly tried to attack her with their mandaus, but before they could even stab her she jumped up and undressed completey.... there she stood totally naked and the chiefs where nailed to the ground. Jan Ave assured that that was (like we normal man should think) not by her nice shapes,rounds and curves but that the look upong someones genitials was associated with taboo.
It was just "not done" to attack her now.

I think such stories would end whole different outside Borneo....

regards Arjan
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote