View Single Post
Old 28th September 2011, 11:14 AM   #17
RDGAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Wow Meredydd, what a dramatic and anguishing perspective, wouldn't you agree?
Let me post a few lines to, in the least, regain some of the attraction which this forum is so hopefully persuaded to create, counterbalancing any of those 'fears' that may become contagious to newcomers .
For certain that the range of members of our community is composed by the most varied levels of knowledge, from plain enthusiasts (the larger number, my humble self included) to experts in this or that area. Also certain is that any of us may post the best we can offer that no one qualifies to criticise us for as much inaccurate as our impressions may be.
After all, there is only one thing we (and experts) certainly now, which is that "we kow nothing". Why presuming to know more than Plato ?
Yours humbly

-
Fernando, allow me to agree with your optimism! I didn't mean to say that the place is unattractive; more that it can be a bit intimidating to a certain breed of person.

I think the best way to think of it is by referring to school days, or something similar; imagine being young and ignorant and having to go up to some Prof's office to ask what you suspect to be a very stupid question. Climbing the stairs is always a bit of a worrying experience, and the Prof is sometimes a bit bluff at first; but when you talk to him, you get to know that he's a genial old fellow who loves his subject. That, for me at least, is my experience; and, like our metaphorical pupil, I am far richer for having climbed the stairs!
RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote