Thread: left hand sword
View Single Post
Old 17th October 2008, 06:51 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Clockwork!!! I worked on finding the info for most of the day yesterday, and had great fun doing it! Its great when researching an item with such great potential, and intriguing elements. To me this is what antique weapons are all about....and they do indeed have stories to tell.

In writing all of the other material, I forgot to address that makers cartouche. In going through the resources I have, the closest I could find
was a similar marking, loosely resembling a cursive letter 'f', which was on a rapier of N.Italy c.1590 ("Wallace Collection Catalogs", op.cit. item A555). It is noted that the mark resembled the crozier head arms of the city of Basel. (crozier= the processional staff in Catholic regalia which represents the shepherds crook).

I think this suggests early 17th century period is quite possible for this piece, as that cartouche seem quite authentic to me in its placement. I have not yet checked the A.V.B.Norman reference for the prismatic pommel form. At this point it seems this piece may be early, most probably reworked and with more contemporary decorative (and talismanic) motif applied to the blade.
As noted the script appears quite incongruent with the word Solingen split on two lines, and as far as I know most authentic Solingen inscriptions use the Latin Me Fecit Solingen, or in some cases 'en' Solingen, not 'in' Solingen.

Possibly an earlier piece later 'embellished' ?

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 17th October 2008 at 08:15 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote