View Single Post
Old 21st January 2019, 02:26 AM   #289
Bakerbarang

Default Slitted Guard Basket Hilt - Condition as found

Just for fun…
Just so you can see what I saw on Craig’s list. The photo shows two of the swords. (the other one in the photo was a William IV pipe back with broken grip and the blade “sharpened” by some artist with a grinder!!) Not knowing much about basket hilts, what actually influenced me more was the outline of the blade. It just looked like an old blade with the rounded point - so I figured I’d gamble and go for a drive to see it. The house was dark but what I could see, I liked. I bought it and walked out to the car and took it out of it’s garbage bag for a proper look in the daylight. At that point I realized I may have landed on a really nice sword. I took some photos in the car and emailed them to a friend immediately asking what he thought. He indicated it was old and likely 18th century with what could be a 17th century blade. I was thrilled!
The photos from the car show the condition as found. All told, very well preserved. Not part of a collection, not understood, but fortunately not “sharpened” by the guy with the grinder! I’m amazed that this thing, while lightly rusted and missing the grip, does not appear to have been “improved” by anyone over the years. All the more amazing given that it appears to be a late 16th century weapon – that is a lot of years to have escaped being made into a fire place poker. I’m thrilled it is now found, preserved and, thanks to you all, being appreciated. I, like all of you is suspect, have stories about "the one that got away" I'm so glad I was actually able to catch this one.
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 21st January 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Bakerbarang is offline   Reply With Quote