View Single Post
Old 29th December 2018, 10:21 PM   #279
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is hard to say with certainty with basket hilts whether English or Scottish as these denominators were pretty transcendent in these times and regions, but most characteristics suggest it is made by Scottish artisans. It is most certainly, as typical, a Solingen blade. The cross and orb coupled with the 'anchor' is atypical but commonly placed as here at the fuller terminus as far as I have seen on most blades of this time period.
This does seem a 17th century blade, and the hilt latter 17th-early 18th. The arms of the saltires entering the pommel is characteristic of Scottish hilt making, and makers in the garrison centers often produced for Highland units in the British army, but there are features which suggest profound Scottish symbolism such as the heart and especially the scallop shell....which if I recall had Jacobite associations. This was a relatively rarely seen symbol for the Spanish allies to the Jacobite cause.

Without going into notes and research, my inclination is toward a very Scottish basket hilt of at early 18th c. and most probably from border or lowland regions during the risings. It must be remembered that the distinctions between opposing sides were not truly delineated between Highland and Lowland; Scottish or English nor Jacobite against Government..so such classification is at this stage improbable.

This is a FANTASTIC piece!!! and Bakerbarang, I cannot thank you enough for sharing it here...….and I envy your fortitude in taking a chance on what is truly an amazing find! Congratulations! This is a truly valuable find.

I am hoping that the 'real' experts here like Cathey and Eljay might come in with their views, but in the meantime I add what I can based on what I can recall of previous researches.

PS. Personally I would avoid restoration beyond stabilizing any active corrosion, I have a ribbon hilt intact like this but the grip gone, and of the same period c.1690s, or earlier. I like its static condition as it to me represents history incarnate, and is rustically beautiful.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 29th December 2018 at 10:34 PM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote