View Single Post
Old 7th September 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
BigG

Default New - Peninsula Malay Anak Alang

This is a new Anak Alang Keris which I had purchased a while back. The blade isnt made of high contrasting pamor material though evidence of this is seen at the Ganja as well as a bit near the tutung/pucuk. The blade is sturdy and takes an attractive anak alang form that curves out word much like that of a Bugis Sepokal. The blade also widens a bit in a Jalak form.

The Bunga Krawang/Ricikan ens in a long tapering form that pleasingly sets of the entire form of the keris. I have seen some eg of entique pcs that has this form before, but have never had the good fortune to be able to cease one for myself. So forthe moment this would have to make do.

The blade originally comes in a sheath and hulu that was far in excess of the size of the blade and was made stiff an rather listless. I comissioned a Trengganu craftsman to redo the entire hilt and sheath for me. I was specific that the sampir was of the Sari Bulan form. But instead of being straight & stiff as it was previously, to have it be angled smoothly just ever so slightly so that the form of the sheath and hulu replicates more the curvature of the blade. I believe that the craftsman has been able to achieve this well from what you can see in the pics.

The hulu was remade and was done so that it would be in proportion to the blade and the sheath... It was to take the form of the Hulu Tapak Kuda, Horse's Hoove with none or very minimal decorative element.

The material for the Hulu, Sampir & the Buntut is made of choiced material. That of a Kemuning Raja, Royal Kemuning. Got it from the jungles of Kelantan via Kuala Lumpur. For a non antique, it has very good chatoyance that may not be very apparent in the pics and also respectable grains. The Batang Serunai - Stem, is made of Sena wood with good grains and chatoyance too.

The pendokok was the last to arrive. An antique silver piece rather full of gunk. Had to clean it a bit. Overall a nice new piece of Anak Alang. I have been told by M'sian collectors that this variance is known as an Anak Alang - Setapak Kaki (A Foots Length). I am uncertain whether this is actually the term for the variance of design or merely describing the size of it which is that of a foot length.

All comments would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigG; 7th September 2010 at 11:51 AM.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote