View Single Post
Old 12th July 2008, 06:10 PM   #21
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you Lew. That's the sort of reasoning i have been inclined to subscribe, untill reasonable evidence shows otherwise.

Thank you Fearn. I see your point/s.
But let me divagate a little.
We know that the sickle (BTW in portuguese "foice" from latin falx), although primarily an agricultural implement, has allways been associated to weaponry. During middle ages it was one of the main resources of the infantry "pawns" that were gathered among agricultural people, who used to adapt long hafts to these implements, to achieve an economic weapon. I can realize that evolution of such situation took people to strenghten the sickles that were meant for combat, making them become exclusive weapons, instead of dual use devices.
... lately i read somewhere that arits also suffered such modifications.
At same time it appears that sickles were in the origin of European halberds.
I find that, at least in the Portuguese universe, hooks and billhooks belong to the sickle family, with variations more dedicated to tough cutting and pruning ( podão and podoa, from podar=to prune).
What stops me to conclude that my specimen is simply an agricultural tool, is that i didn't yet find another example to prove (me) so, with the agravation that i don't have enough "luggage" to associate all that i have seen (or been shown) so far, with my piece.
The blades i see out there, all have a different blade aproach, often with a more acute (closed) angle, together with other details ... socketing system, etc.
I see it that, being this an agricultural tool, or whatever, must be very specific of a determined region, as it doesn't fit into any generical situation ... at least to my unexperienced eyes.
I hope some of what i just said makes any sense.
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is online now   Reply With Quote