View Single Post
Old 19th August 2006, 10:10 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This sword of course is what appears a munitions grade or fighting example of the Kabyle flyssa (Algerian Berber tribe). While there remains interesting speculation and suggestions concerning the fundamental similarities between these and the Black Sea yataghan (Kurdish-Armenian or Transcaucasian yataghan in most resources), there are no established connections between the two. While Caucasian weapons are certainly known in Algerian armouries, likely from mercenaries for Ottomans, both the 'Black Sea' and the flyssa appear to be forms that evolved around second quarter of 19th c.

The earliest known flyssa is stated c.1827, and the earliest provenanced example I have found was 1857 (captured by French Foreign Legion in combat). Independantly, the Black Sea yataghan, as I have noted on the latest incarnation of that discussion has earliest provenanced examples c.1850 in Turkish regions.

I would love to find examples of either of these that might move back the origination of these forms, but as far as I know, no evidence exists prior to the dates I have mentioned.

Also a complete puzzle is the actual use of the flyssa, which to me (and again I emphasize I have only lay knowledge of martial arts) would be difficult at best as it is terribly balanced for slashing, the grip is inadequate in size and without guard or and support for the hand. To use it as a lance or thrusting weapon, there is again no hand support. I am not aware of any narrative describing these swords in use, but perhaps any of our readers who have access to French Foreign Legion narratives of combat with these Berber tribes may be able to help.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote