View Single Post
Old 17th April 2009, 01:23 PM   #2
celtan

There's a larger similar one here (24"?), at an old stuff store in San Juan, kinda rusty. It's installed in a mount, I don't recall if it has wheels.

I can always go and ask them what they know about it

Myself, I think it's either a signal gun or a naval line thrower. Most probably the latter. These were often used to send packets between ships...

I believe the whole point of its design is that it is lighter , and probably came packed in a box, ready to be assembled. The barrel seems to be compound, like the first cannons were. Probably easier to make?

By the time of its manufacture, there were already better firing mechanisms than a touch hole, both flintlocks and percussion locks, which seem to suggest a simple, cheap tool nature.

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360145891147

I wanted to bid on this piece so bad, but there were just a few red flags with it. I think there might be parts to a real cannon here, but I'm not sure where the real things start and the others end?? Notice it comes from S. America. Possibly a late 18th c. piece refitted for the Industrial Revolution late 19th with the machine-made threaded bolts. Is that some sort of bolster? i regret passing on it now, especially since the gent that got it only paid what he did- less than what you can get a signal cannon for. Opinions on authenticity? Age? Port of origin? Use at sea vs a fort gun? Odd construction? Thanks.

Last edited by celtan; 17th April 2009 at 01:38 PM.
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote