View Single Post
Old 14th December 2016, 09:36 PM   #3
ariel

And the description:
"Ottoman or Viking?

Must of you are wondering if this is a replica viking sword from one of the modern brands in the market? It is not.
It is probably one of the rarest ottoman swords in history. Please analyze the visible microstructure of grains composition of the blade.
During hundreds of years persians worked the famous "Crucible Steel" for the Vikings Clans. Read about the Viking's Volga Trade Route to Persia.
More details about this sword, it keeps an interesting wooden scabbard with silver and bronze pieces as decorations, probably from a diferent origin or time period, don't know much about it yet but it fits the sword very well & tight, wood has small cracks but nothing serious, it is still in good condition.
I will ask you, experts on the field to search and try to date this sword. The hilt is finely chiseled over solid bronze, see in the pictures the tools markings ( looks like an early handwork). If I don't get wrong, a similar example of an ottoman viking style sword, was sold by Chriestie's last month in a hudge incredible price, showing the same hilt with the same romboidal tools markings as this one.
Blade shows worn areas, rust spots and edge deformations from age but it is still straight and flexible.
I will appreciate any professional support because this sword is still an enigma to me.
A great sword to study. Any other details you need, just ask me, I will be able to help.
Sold as it came to me.
(SOLD AS IS)
Please, no returns and thanks for your attention. "
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote