View Single Post
Old 27th August 2010, 03:09 AM   #22
M ELEY

The shot tower method was created in England at the end of the 18th century. The process was used in other countries, but quite popular here in the U.S. Jim, there's a shot tower in Virginia not far from me on the New River. It's a pretty cool site to see from the highway if you are ever passing this way, mate!

elEspadaAncha, your cannon balls could also be more primitively cast iron of the period. They resemble my Rev War American 2 pounders with their "off"- rounded shape.

Yes, Fernando, I definitely agree that hot shot is still in the running. I was unaware before I read this thread that it was ever used against anything but ships. I was going to suggest that a near-molten ball striking ocean water could deform this way, but I'm assuming we know for sure it was found buried on dry land? Likewise, IF it had been used against a ship, one could look for pick-marks to the hot shot where a naval crew would have been working double time with their spiked axes to dig it free from the decking and kick it over the side.( the only way to extinguish these monsters, as buckets of sea water were futile). Fascinating topic, folks.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote