View Single Post
Old 16th August 2022, 05:21 PM   #12
midelburgo

I know of a similar sword to the one opening this thread. Hilt seems older with four screws but not frame. And the date is 1760 instead of 1720. What makes me think 1720 was a sales pitch (1760 maybe too).
Both blades are marked with a Toledo mark and Solingen (and in a period when Toledo was inactive). I take that as they are Solingen products intended to be sold initially as from Toledo, but later they decided to etch them.

For the crowned T swords /Ayzavilla, I have two alternative explanations. They could be from the original batches at the reinstalment of Toledo in 1761, when the new factory was not yet built, or they could be from Trubia in the 1790s. Trubia is known to have made bayonets for the 1757 model musket, but there are no notice about swords being ever made there. The problem with these swords is that they have a mixture of old (pommel) and new (more simplified hilt decorations) characteristics.

The Sebastian Hernandez (real mark is the bell atthe ricasso) example is a later officer sword. At some time (about Carlos IV reign from 1789), they also standardized the officer swords hilts, with a sunburst guardapolvo, a polyhedrical pommel and what I call a "lyre" at the cross instead of a semicircle piece. They used the same hilt for Guards de Corps rank and file. (a Guard de Corps soldier had the status of a sergeant in the regular cavalry).
I include another Sebastian Hernandez blade with a similar officer hilt. This one looks more the real thing, but probbaly is also from the XVIIIth century.
Attached Images

Last edited by midelburgo; 16th August 2022 at 05:51 PM.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote