View Single Post
Old 27th October 2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Now this is esoterica Gene!!! and actually, I think spurs are very much part of the study of arms and armor, as from medieval times they were actually a sign of rank. As for tenuous, not at all with the great tie in with this classic movie!! probably more for the actors than the actual content.
The spur didnt really kill the guy with a spur (so we wont need to worry about activists seeking to outlaw spurs now but actually threw it at him, presenting the distraction needed for the deadly gunshot.

This example looks to me markedly Mexican, though I cannot claim any knowledge or even awareness toward this topic. As noted by Chris, the presence of spurs is well seated in American cowboy tradition, which has of course borne its origins in the colorful history of New Spain. This heritage in turn carries the traditions from medieval times and chivalry brought from the Iberian Peninsula.

I think that the distinct appearance and elaborate decoration may be more of a Spanish influence, more than regional application. While the huge rowel signifies the 'espeula grande' type , it seems more likely Spanish Southwest or Mexico, though certainly the gaucho examples are well noted.

The use of stars in linear motif would not signify American association in my opinion though, as these stars are known to be used in many types of insignia, flags and regalia. As spurs were often custom made, there seem to be any number of possibilities.

It is very true that the styles and flamboyance of Mexico in the material culture of its frontier and Spanish Colonial history is one of the very things that make the study of these arms and accoutrements so exciting in my opinion. The Mexican vaquero was stylish indeed, as were the Mexican cowboys who carried the traditions forward.

Returning to the movie images noted by Gene, who can forget the rugged and elaborately distinct character and flamboyantly festooned bandidos and revolutionaries in western movies with huge sombreros, bandoleers, flared pants and clanking rowel spurs. While some might see them as cartooned cliche's, I see beyond that and see the spirited and rugged caballeros who formed the character of not only Mexico, but very much America itself.

It would be great to learn more on spurs and thier history, and think it is an excellent topic to pursue further! Outstanding Gene, thank you!!

Alan, good one there from OZ, love the kangaroo kuddlers!!!

Chris, excellent note on the frequency of seeing spurs around, and I can formly attest to that as the 'bookmobile' courses through the Southwest constantly.

All the best,
Jim
Sorry mate, how did I miss this thread continuing?

As always Jim, great historical context, thank you
Even over here you do occasionally see antique 'American' (north and south) Spurs, but I've never seen one of this quality!

As for the cliche ridden movie depictions of Mexican cowboys, I still love them!
Of course I'm not a kid any more and I understand they are often more pantomine than historically accurate, in fact mostly the actors are of course not even Mexican!
Hmm, I think I'm going to have to have an afternoon of classic westerns!
Perhaps the 3 great Eastwood 'man with no name' outings?
Gian Maria Volonté as Ramon and Indio is a total revelation!

And Eli Walach's Tuco 'There are two types of spurs, those that come in through the door, and those that come in through the window'

Back on subject though, hopefully others will show their spurs too, as this is an interesting study.

Best
Gene