View Single Post
Old 1st July 2017, 01:08 PM   #40
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Red face Does all this make sense ?...

Probably because i am not introduced to mechanic techniques i am not convinced that the purpose of multiple teeth is that of a continuous prevention of an unwanted blade folding, but the developing of a tradition more directed to a cultural attitude than a technical solution.
Standing way before the knowledge of universal fencing techniques, i see in (navaja) field fighting terms that is a more remote move to try and grasp the opponent’s knife with a free hand than use it to for self protection; apart from scenes viewed in old movies, we have two drawings shown in Forton’s work where the free hand is used to wrap a custom piece, eventually a jacket, to use as a shield to parry the opponent’s blows. And i can only think that a propper way to hold a ratchet knife is to lay the thumb on the latch, an easy procedure to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Evans
...Well, the navajas with "globes" originated from France, so what are we to make of that ?...
So indeed the globes came from France, as consistent with Forton’s ... but were they French ? although not worthing a valid fact, the Moors invasion also reached Southern France; but more valid is that there are no rattle snakes in France. In a quick research, we find a website where the French expert defines one of these "queue de crotal" tail navajas as being made for the Spanish market, which in turn exported them to Mexico, thus the reason for the handle with a rattle snake tail.

" Il s'agit bien d'un couteau de fabrication française, fin XIXème, début XXème. A l'époque, la France produisait beaucoup de couteaux pour l'exportation. Celui ci était destiné à l'Espagne... qui l'exportait à son tour au Mexique ! (d'où l'extrémité en forme de queue de crotale)".

Quote:
…fixed blade knives were in all ways better as both tools and weapons, so why bother with complicated and labor intensive mechanisms?...
Let it be no doubt that fixed blade knives are definitely more convenient for both daily and fighting use but, why not contemplating other conveniences like, for one, being able to fold them into half dimensions for better transport. Besides and more important, you could easily hurt yourself with an open navaja inside your pocket or behind your sash.

Quote:
… Why were so many navajas of the 20th century inscribed with the ubiquitous `TOLEDO' inscription, when they were actually being made in Albacete and Santa Cruz De Mudela? A common guess is that the tourists wanted to buy a piece of famous Toledo steel. So it may well be the same with the carraca...
Good and pertinent point; notwithstanding that, despite the bulk of navajas production being Albacete and Mudela originated, also Toledo had its share, judging by Forton fig. 232, with a blade engraving ARTILLERIA TOLEDO, a name that would only occurr to that factory, during its “modern” end XIX century period. Besides, quoting Forton’s work, several marks gathered by Santiago Palomares from the XVIII century (and earlier) Toledo sword smiths punzones were also present in precious blades of “cuchillos y navajas”… for what this is worth.

Quote:
...What i find puzzling about the ratchets is that many navajas, not just Spanish but also Italian had this feature, yet so many had only three teeth, which came into play only at the final phases of opening or at the early stages of closure...
Probably the three teeth were just the start; then came the increasing of its quantity, a sign of traditional 'evolution'. I remember in my youth, people commenting that X person had a six cracks ‘navalha’. So it comes in Forton’s work, as in a copla here shown, where the singer is bragging about his seven muelles (springs/cracks) navaja:

"Mi navaja de Albacete,
que de muelles tiene siete,
Hiere, mata, pincha y raja.
Mi navaja es una alhaja,
si señor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
… the ratcheting noise doesn't stop anything from happening...
The point would not be that of preventing things from happening … but give the other side a chance for a fair fight … i would guess …

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote